Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A couple big announcements

1. Ring games have put me on tilt.

The realty is my ring games just aren’t as strong as my SnG’s. After playing a patient session on 4 ring games I lost a substantial amount of my bankroll the other night. Am extremely disappointed with this and will be stepping away from them for a little while.

After much analysis of all me ring sessions, when I win, I win small and when I lose, I lose big. I think I’m approaching ring games with not enough patience, which is detrimental. I’ve proven to myself that I am steadily increasing my bankroll via SnG’s and the odd MTT so that’s what I’ll be focusing on for the next couple of months.

I’m not going to back of ring games all together, I’ll never grow and develop if I do, but whilst I grind my way up to a decent bankroll that will allow me to play games a little higher than .01./.02 I’m focusing on tourneys. I’ve previously found that I am slightly more successful at higher cash games than I am at the lower ones. Maybe because at this level, people will play and chase ANYTHING, and when that happens and people suck-out on me, it’s easy to go on tilt thus destroying the entire session.


2. Re-evaluation of bankroll rules

I’ve been following basic bankroll management rules of the following:
•Ring games -never buy-in for more than 5% of total bankroll
•SnG’s -have a minimum of 50 buy-ins for that game
•MTT - have a minimum of 50 buy-ins for that game

I’m changing my ring game to 2% of my total bankroll starting immediately. Better to be the side of caution. If I plan to take this seriously I need to be more patient. It will come, it’s just the early days that will be a grind. If I can make it through the early stages, I’m ready to run.

I’m also changing the MTT buy-in to a minimum of 100. MTT’s can be very hard to ‘cash’ on a regular basis. Even if you do cash but not that high up, the return on investment generally is nothing exceptional and hardly worth the time out in to get that return.

These rules are in place to protect my finances now, and for the future. Yes it does mean that growing and developing will take a little longer, but when I look back in 12-18 months, I’m sure I’ll have made the correct decision.

No comments: