Thursday, September 18, 2008

Moved up too fast, then came tilt.

Last night, after possibly the best streak I've ever had in my life which was 10 straight cashes in 6 man SnG's, I had a quick peak at my BR and saw that I was cashed up to move to the $11 SnG games. I couldn't have been happier. I played my first game at that level last night and won it. $30 first prize, after buyin in $19 profit. I was over the moon.

Waking up this morning I realized that I no longer needed to play $5 or $6 games and lookoed forward to playing the $11 game.

First game - lost. Put if down to bad luck to be honest. I had KJ suited and flop came K 4 4. After betting back and forward my opponenet turned over AA. Cooler I thought, bad luck try again.

Second game - lost, against AA again funnily enough.

Third and final game - bubbled. QQ vs TT and of course, he hit a T on the flop.

After 3 losses I knew my BR could no longer support the $11 game.

Entered into a MTT $5.50 and couldnt not have scripted a better start.

First hand AA. blinds 10-20 and I opened for 100. Player 2nd after me re-raised to 200, then came a caller. Got back to me and I shoved allin with both of them calling. 1 had JJ and the other AK. Fortunately community cards missed them both and in the first hand I tripled up and eliminated 2 players. The field was on 20 players and with that first hand I thought I was a shoe in for sure. Long story short, made some mistakes and came 9th.

With such a bad start to the day I thought I'll go back to what I've been having so much success at. 4 tables $6 games at stars. Sitting down after so many losses and with completely the wrong mentality can you guess what happened. LOST THEM ALL!

That's it giving it a rest for a while.

Looking back, what went wrong and how can I fix it?

I looked at my BR progress - that's it. I saw I had moved up enough to go to the next game and crumbled. As upset and frustrated as I am at the moment, I'm really not in the slightest worried. Only 2 or 3 weeks ago I had exactly the same problem when I moved from a $3 game to a $6 game. For some reason, as I move up in stakes, I play with fear, something that I need to overcome asap.

As far as my BR progress goes, I now know I must be up a bit over $150 for SnG's this month. As I said at the start of the month, I'm not doing daily reconciliations and just focusing on my game. However, in the separate spreadsheet where I've been recording all data to put together at the end of the month I've been running a profit column, so seeing how I've been doing really isn't that hard. Once this post goes live, that column gets deleted. It will mean a lot for work in the reconciliation process at the end of the month, but, it will also mean I'll have no idea what I'm on day by day, something I should have done at the start of September.

Where to from here?


Delete the profit column & grind away at the $5 & $6 games. If I'm ready to move up, I won't know until the start of October, by which time hopefully I'll have more than enough buyin's for the bigger game to support a bad day or 2.

2 comments:

Jurn8 said...

Hey Custo UL at the tables buddy but keep working on your game. Was good to see that you were analysing your days play and thinking how to improve and that you are learning from mistakes cus hey we all make them its just how we recover from them.
GL
Jake

Icemonkey9 said...

Hmm, from the sound of it maybe you didn't have enough to move up in stakes. It seems like you passed a minimum threshold on a heater (or reverse tilt) and then you might have even played well and just lost and that put you on tilt. Going back below that "minimum threshold" shouldn't have affected you.

You took a shot at the higher limit with the right bankroll, but didn't make it ... YET. I'd say set yourself a realistic "staying power" bankroll limit for $11 SNGs and then go from there. Nothing wrong with taking a shot at a higher limit every now and then when you are playing really well in SNGs.