Sunday, July 27, 2008

Never been so happy to make money.

Following last weeks title, given the events that ended an hour ago, this is by far the most appropriate title I could think of. I WON! For so long now, literally 3 or 4 years, I've never won a multi table tournament, until today. The only disappointing part was the buy-in wasn't as big as the event I made the final table in last week. But I'm playing to win, and winning at this level brings me closer to the next one. It's NOT about the money, it's about learning, growing and succeeding. I've really learned this month that money is only a byproduct of success, it is not the fundamental focus.

Have played this particular game several times before, even had a 7th once, I had a fair idea how I would play it. I was fortunate enough in the early rounds to just keep catching cards and connecting with flops. I remember I was 5th in chips after about 10 minutes, and I never dropped out of the top 10 for the entire tournament. This tournament is unique in the fact that the blinds increase every 5 minutes forcing more action than a usual tournament. Given the solid start I had that set me up to play a more solid game in the later stages.

I was fortunate enough to be joined by Dr.G in this game aswell who finished a respectable 31st, congratulations sir. It was great to have some advice from a mate who had a good understanding of the game I was in at the time.

As I do enjoy pictures rather than words, in this case videos, to complete my story I'm attaching the hands that made the result I achieved.



The fold that probably won me the tournament.

I wanted to call so much, it was actually a really hard lay down for me to make. It was really due to Dr.G highly recommending (almost jabbing me) to fold this. I felt I had the hand all the way, but the K of diamonds dropping on the river was the worst card I could have seen. Did he have the K? Did he hit runner runner to backdoor a flush? Or was he just bluffing me? I'll never know. Fortunately now, it doesn't matter.


The shift of power.

With the opponent I had heads up, all I had to do was connect with a flop and chips would be mine. I knew this from watching him the whole game. If I hit a flop, I'd get paid out like the jackpot on a pokie machine, it was just about timing when to pull the trigger.


Who said you need the nuts to win a tournament?

What a way to end, winning with Q high. You can only laugh. This hand was the very next one after "The shift in power" and I knew he was on serious tilt and going to make moves against me regardless of his cards. All I wanted was a decent enough holding and I was going for it, especially since I had the chip lead on him. It did manage to scare the crap out of me. He turned his cards and the first thing I thought was "he's only got 3 outs". On the flop he gets a gut-shot straight draw. On the turn he gets and open ended straight draw. But lucky for me he drowned at the river.


My personal favorite.

This hand was by far the best hand I felt I played. Whilst the video shows no pauses, I felt, I knew, he didn't hit the flop and I had him. Admittedly, my pre flop raise may have been loose, but his plays for the past 10-15 minutes prior to his hand, I knew justified me calling him with A 5 off. Once that flop came and I connected I knew how much he'd lead out with and I knew I'd come over the top. I honestly didn't expect him to call, but he did, and I got another 15,000 for it. I don't normally have the guts to make calls like that, maybe that's why I've never won before.

So how much money did I make? It matters not! I outlasted every player in the tournament that entered. Being at the state is by far the greatest accomplishment I can ask for. From 10 cents I created $8.50. An ROI of 8400%. Winning today, I feel, is my greatest success to date. The monkeys off my back. I know I can do it and I look forward to doing it again, many times over.

I hope you all enjoyed this update as I enjoyed writing it. I now have 6 days left until the month end reconciliation and it's looking better and better.
Good luck at the tables.
Cu$to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Never mind about the fact that it only a .10 game, because MAN that was fun!!

I know I told you that final table is the only goal that late in a tourney - after all you are just managing a bankroll; but if you're gunna grab a bracelet - I say, do it in style!

Well done - weights off shoulders all round I say!