Sunday, July 20, 2008

Never been so upset to make money.

I entered the same game today as last week. $5.50 with 1464 players. Overall was very pleased with my result but, I'd have loved to have won the whole game. For the first hour played very solid, had a couple of loose plays that looking back I shouldn't have done but overall it was pretty much ABC poker. Into the second hour, pretty much continued my strategy from the first hour, tight tight tight. Once I was about 100 off the money, I had a feeling that I would cash in the event. I did manage to make it into the top 243 where the money got paid, then I just focused on climbing the ladder so to speak. Before I knew what was going on there were 70 players left. At this point I knew I'd have a final; table day today.

What shocked me so much was into the 4th hour. In the first hour, it's not uncommon for over 50% of the field to be eliminated, based of this game that's over 700 people in 1 hour. But in the 4th hour, I think it was about 7 players that got eliminated. I couldn't believe it, it was easily the most intense hour of poker I've encountered. Every hand, every decision was for my tournament life and I couldn't be wrong, not even once.

Once the 5th hour started it was the final 14. There was a pay-rise once 14th got knocked out. There was one pivotal hand that stuck in my memory in these late stages. Dealt AsQd on the button, the 2nd player to act made a standard raise of 3xbb, he had been doing it quite often and AQ was the best hand I'd seen in a while. Running with my gut feeling I decided to put him to the test, knowing full well he has me covered in chips and if I lose I'm 14th which is 1 off the next pay bracket. I have no regrets with the hand even if it turned out a different way. I felt I'd have a coin flip and at these stages late in a tounrey, everyone must take a coin flip once in a while.



Fortunately I crippled him and he was out 14th a few hands later. Once I saw this happen, I knew I'd make the final table.

Final table. What a feeling. minimum I'd profit would be $90+ and first prize was over $1,300. After about 15 minutes of a very tight table and being the short stack I got my first decent holding, 1 away from the button with the table folding to me and here is what happened.



I never called for a 5 more in my life. No regrets. 6 hours turned a profit of over $90 or an ROI of 1643.64%. Not a bad day at the office. I'm just dying to see what I'm on for the month. We'll find out in 11 more days.

6 comments:

Curtis Jones said...

Awesome job, I am more proud of the feild finish then the FT or the money. Way to grind it out and be patient. I can see you dominating these mtt's more often. Keep up the good work!

Icemonkey9 said...

Nice job custo. Real nice. Feels good to hit a final table eh? Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Not sure I agree with the last hand, pushing all in with a low-middle pocket pair. Generally it is better to limp or do a small raise to thin the field (which had already happened, at most you were going to get called by the button and blinds). Pushing all in results in two possible outcomes;

1) You scare everyone out and only get the blinds.

2) You get called by a better hand (higher pocket, or AK, AQ, etc). So at best it's a race and at worst your dominated with only two outs.

Basically your either going to win small or loose big. Not a good situation at this point in the game. It is a good option if your chip lead, don't be afraid to push people around because your not risking your tournament life.

Custo said...

I hate reading it nicholas but you are dead right. My only thoughts at the time were:
1, I'm short stack
2, blinds are getting big
3, I have a decent position
4, best hand I'd seen in a while
5, perhaps the pressure got to me having never done so good at a buyin like that.

Appreciate the feedback, in hindsight I wish I raised 3xbb because the flop would have come, I would have seen 3 overs and tossed it. Oh well, will try again later.

veggieman7 said...

Well done mate,keep it up and the big pay day will come.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations of the final table, always feels great doesn't it? I know what you mean about being disappointed about not winning, just goes to show you're a true poker player