Thursday, February 19, 2009

Failure at 6-tabling 5NL.

Just because there is a correlation that does not imply there is causation.

Thinking after last nights performance has made me really focus on the statement above.

Did I lose last night because I tried something different than I usually do?
Because I played more tables than usual does that mean that I will always lose?

Of course not! Yet during play last night I kept saying that to myself. “6 tables, I shouldn’t be doing this”. In turn this created a negative expectation and sense of desperation during play and with approaches to hands.

To be honest I took some beats last night. One incredible bad beat and a few unlucky hands as well. Does this mean that ever time I play 6 tables I destined to lose? Not even I’m that superstitious.

Overall I’m not over comfortable with 6 tables. Obviously the more tables I play means the more hands I see. To be honest 4-tabling so far has proved to be very profitable and I shouldn’t change what has proven to be so far a successful system. Even if I had a winning session last night, I’d still be dropping back. One of the main things I’ve learned in the past 14 months of this venture is that I need to be comfortable. If I have any fear or doubt in my mind whilst playing any type of game I’m not going to win.

Anyway for the record here are the hands that caused my demise yesterday.

Get your buckets ready becasue this hand will make you sick.

I forgot that Q6 is a great hand to call a raise with before a flop.

Biggest pot I lost and there was nothing I think I could have done better.


3 outer on the river, wonder if he hits?


Out flopped here, nothing else, still sucks


Good river for me, great river for him


Top pair top kicker vs goddam overpair

3 comments:

Neilc999 said...

hey dude seems like you and me are on a pretty similar path at the mo. Ive been half stacking $10NL for the past week or so on a heater but think its wiser to have the 100BBs at $5NL instead. I'll be dropping by regularly to see how ya doin.

Good luck at the tables anyway mate

Icemonkey9 said...

Welcome to my wonderful world. Those hands were all coolers. You are playing fine which is the good news. For whatever reason about 10 days out of the month (typically straight) all this crap happens at once.

Hopefully it turns out good for you soon.

WVHillbilly said...

Hey Custo you didn't ask for comments on the hands so if you want just delete this comment.

On the hand with AA, what does he ever bet pot with on the river that you beat other than the occasional air? I don't hate the call but I don't think your good very often there.

The KJs hand from UTG is a fold preflop. Limping there is so bad. Honestly you'll be better off if you never open limp and just throw away those hands that you're doing it with now.

I also don't like calling a 3bet from a smallish stack with AJ (last hand). His stack is just too small to get the right kind of implied odds from and you still have the button to act behind you who could decide to put in a big 4bet and knock you out of the hand.

Anyway, keep working at it and you'll be playing 6+ tables in no time.

gl