Friday, March 5, 2010

Correlation isn't necessarily causation?

To quote a comment left on my recent post I wanted to explore this statement and get other opinions.

Here is the quote:

“Just remember, correlation isn't necessarily causation.

There might not be a relationship between your finish and any change in your play style - you only have a few data points so far. Also there might not be a relationship between a change in your play style and that win.

...or there might be?

This also applies if you have some big losses with no wins for a while. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with your play - just keep at it.

Think long term.”


So the question is can I account this recent success as a result of my paradigm shift or is it just a massive coincidence that I happened to have the best finish of my life 2 days after the sweat session?

Well I think I’ll put this to a personal test.

The Test.

I intend to play 100 mtts with buy-ins ranging from $2.20 - $11 with field sizes of 500+ and 15 minute blind levels. I will not put any form of timeline on it as my intention is not to rush this and I’m not an mtt grinder. I will only play these at PokerStars and only play when I feel like it.

I am hoping with this new style of play to have an ITM rate of 10%+ and at least 1 final table. I will not revert back to my old approach of shutting down if I get close to the money and I’m average on chips and I will continue to play for the final table then the win.

I do have to consider the fact that I may have 0 ITM finishes and have accepted that fact, although I’ll be very surprised if that was to happen.

Once 100 mtts have been completed I will have all results made available and we will see just of this new approach have improved my game long term.

I am very interested in everyone’s feedback and will regularly update on results as I get through the games.

Custo

4 comments:

Dr G. said...

Ahhhh science...


How I love thee.

buffyslayer1 said...

mate u need 1000 games for this to be even a little bit statistically significant and to be hinest more like 5,000.
100 games is gonna be a varirance feast!

Dr G. said...

"Variance Fest" - Love it! New favourite settings.

Icemonkey9 said...

1000? 5000?

I personally think 750,000 games is what is statistically relevant.