Saturday, January 24, 2009

Can I get kicked in the guts any harder?

This is a vent post and nothing more. Hopefully this is also something to look back on in years to come and laugh my ass off, but right now I'm fucking pissed off.

Felt good last night, felt good when I woke up this morning. Decided to play a Satellite SnG to a MTT that costs $55 on Stars, the nightly seventy grand it's called.

Satellite cost $16.50 with 9 players and the top 2 win a ticket into the game. I couldn't have played better if I'd scripted it and won. Sweet, great start. Spent the next 2.5 hours re-reading my post of my most successful MTT to date (4th out of 1044)

Said to myself this game, no distrations. No alt-tabing between the game and Google, no playing a small SnG on the side for the first hour, no TV out of the corner of my eye.

I played amazingly. I was making great reads, awesome lay-downs, calls and re-raises. Everything was perfect. Until......



This game paid 216 places up. This hand knocked me out 226th.

I could have folded around and easily made it into the money.
I could have un-registered from the tournament and taken the $55.

I know I'm a massive underdog before the flop, but why o fucking why let me flop a Q then turn a K.

This game is harsh, but I'm not giving up. If the game was a $5 one, or I'm properly rolled for these games it would hardly matter as much.

I didn't fold cause I was going for the win, not the cash. I should have waited 10 more places, got a minimum of $90 then gone for the kill.

This was/is the first shot I've taken at a big prize pool since I started playing with BRM, August 2007.

Perhaps, I'm just meant to keep grinding and wait till I'm rolled for games like this.

2 comments:

Icemonkey9 said...

Call me crazy but you made the right move, yes? Yes. You had less than 10 big blinds and a monster hand in late position. You got a cooler and yes the flop/turn was very cruel to you and an emotional rollercoaster.

You can't think of it as losing $55. You can think of it as losing $16.50 since that's what you paid for with the satty.

I know bubbling even a 6max SNG can be excruciating as it was to me last night but when you play an MTT you have to be prepared to play 2 or 3 hours and see NOTHING in return, it's the name of the game.

Don't be upset, there's no reason. Only be upset when you play like a ponce. You did fine and it sucked but you played it as you should have.

Custo said...

Thanks Bro. It's emotional rollercoasters that come with tournaments that are making me open my eyes and realize I should be a cash player to make bread and butter poker money, then use anything extra on tournaments where losses wont hurt as much.

May PM you in a week or so with some thoughts.

But I need to become a cash player, hardcore!