Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Custo on the comeback.

Slowly, very slowly infact, but the January curse, or so I thought there was one, has been lifted. I totaled 5 days with no poker when I had my break, funny cause that doesn’t sound like much in the grand scheme of things but it felt like a lifetime as I’m used to playing almost everyday.

I’ve managed to distract myself from all forms of following the progress of my BR. I’ve abandoned all spreadsheets I use for tracking and have been keeping records with nothing more than pen and paper, remember those? I obviously didn’t, you should see my hand-writing! I’m really not looking forward to the 31st as there will be a ridiculous amount of data entry required that day.

I’ve been putting most of my time in ring games aswell since my return. Last years dismal performance in this format of play left me stressed and I always knew in the back of my mind that I will need to learn how to beat these games. I’d hardly say I’m dominating then yet, but I believe I found the biggest gap in my performance, post flop play. With reading so much poker material and watching training videos I’ve been obsessed with pre-flop play but never really taken the time to understand how to play post flop correctly. Crazy I know but I’m attending to that now. I’m not going to tell you how much I’m up until the monthly wrap-up, I don’t even know anyway to be honest. All I do know is that I am playing with a profit and taking things slowly.

I’ve ventured back to my 4-tabling Titan’s Double or Nothing SnG’s. The past 3 sessions I’ve had I’ve won 10 out of 12 so that’s fantastic.

I’m really not concerned if January turns out to be a net negative cash result, I dropped so much so fast, it’s more important to get myself back on track for the long-term rather than playing like a madman trying to prove to myself that I’m a ‘winner’ every month. If I can keep up the gradual growth and get closer to the life-time goal, I’ll be more than happy with that.

2 comments:

Icemonkey9 said...

Hey Custo glad to see you are getting back on the horse so to speak. Here are a few impressions:

- Pen & Paper? Really? Look into buying HEM, it finally supports SNG and MTT play and actually it's really amazing for that support now. I think the small stakes version is $55 (which supports importing from $20 or less MTT/SNGs).

- Keep plugging away but really try to set yourself a schedule for what you plan to play. It seems like you just play whatever you feel like at the time and that can throw off your play.

- If you want to get better at post-flop play, start by playing 6max cash game poker. It FORCES you to play aggressively postflop.

Custo said...

Cheers Ice. Regarding your comment on the schedule, you are spot on the money and not the only person to suggest that either. As I've not been working for quite some time I find that I am playing whenever, I still have clear goals but no clear schedule.

I can recall my best performances were playing after work for a much shorter time period aswell.

Hopefully when I return to work in a couple of weeks I'll be able to get back into one and start playing quality over quantity again.