Monday, October 20, 2008

Thank you Barry Greenstein.


From a self-development perspective, I had one of my greatest days today! I covered the first half of one of my most favorite poker players books, Ace on the river by Barry Greenstein.

Unlike so much literature I've read before, this book doesn't just talk about what hands to play and what position to play them from, it covers every element imaginable associated with playing poker professionally. I'm only half way through and I have to take my hat of to Barry. This book has hit home for me in so many ways. Not only does he talk about poker, but covering so many other aspects easily forgotten in day to day life. It's the collaboration of information that makes you want to finish the book cover to cover.

To give Barry the full respect and credit he deserves for such a marvelous book, I'll be posting a small personal review upon completion. If I can encourage at least one more person to get his book, I'll be happy as it really is eye-opening and practical on so many levels.

Once I'd got home from work, all I wanted to do was jump on the tables and practice what I'd just learned.

Once things had settled at home I fired up 2 games. 1 was a 6 man $5 SnG. The other a small MTT. 2 pivotal experiences happened in each game within the first 5 minutes and the outcomes were determined by what I has just learned.

Experience #1.
SnG Game
6 players all start with 1200 chips and blinds at 10/20. Dealt QQ in early position I made a standard raise to 80 and was called by the player under the gun. This particular player was having a shocking run and was already down to around 550 chips. The flop came out 4 4 2. Instantly he went all in and I called. Both hands flipped up, my QQ and he showed A 9. To his fortune an A came on the turn the the river was a 7. I was so frustrated. In my opinion not only should he not have called a pre-flop raise when playing a short stack in such an early part of the game, he shoved A high after the flop came knowing I was still to act and I made the original raise. Just as I went to type something, I remembered Barry saying, don't let these people bother you, just pay attention to what they do and use it to your advantage throughout the game. Sufficed to say, I was the one to eliminate him 15 minutes later and ended up winning the SnG.

To be honest, when something like happens, and most poker players will agree with this, all you want to do is scream. Berate the other player, "How the hell can you make that move?" Instead I breathed in deeply, re-gained my composure and focused on the bigger picture. I suppose it goes back to the old classic saying, "he may have won the battle, but I won the war!"

Experience #2.
MTT Game
This game was a turbo MTT which I'm not a huge fan on. I don't really like fast games with big fields as it tends to force the action a little to fast. The point of an MTT is a marathon, not a sprint. I only played it as it was the only one available tonight that meet my BR requirements.

Once again, it was early in the game, I remember the blinds were still 10/20 so it must have been within the first 5 minutes. I was second away from the big blind. Under the gun min-raised to 40 and I called with pocket 10's. In early position and so early in the game, knowing that these games are crazy at the start I wasn't prepared to raise with my hand. Immediately to my left the player re-raised to 400. The table folded around including the original raiser and it was upto me. All I could think was "why are you raising me 10 times the amount so early. A lot of the time I'll see people doing this early on with marginal hands like pocket 7's or A8 suited. Calling was out of the question as calling means I'm committing 40% of my entire stack before a flop and within the first 5 minutes. My only choice was to re-raise all in, or fold. I chose the later. It was tempting as pocket 10's are a very strong hand but his range was wide, and it was too early to take any chances. At this stage I had only committed 40 of my starting 1000 chips so I got away from the hand, which can be a very hard thing to do.

Making this early lay down, once again proved to work to my advantage. Rather than telling you the result, you can have a look for yourself.



You wanted to see a first didn't you? So did I, but still, an effort not to be frowned upon.

Once again, same as the SnG game, it was remembering Barry talk about patience and focusing on the bigger picture that got me this result.

Now, I look forward to playing after finishing the 2nd half of what I feel is the greatest asset to any poker player in the world.

Thank you Barry Greenstein.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work, and I also have "Ace on the River" as it was a gift and I found it a pretty interesting read.